Community Service based on People’s Request
- This is a user-centered community service system where services are requested directly by citizens in need of help, and the requested services are provided by the persons carrying out community service order.
- Eligible Applicants: Any Korean (individuals, groups)
- How to apply: Online application via Crime Prevention Policy Bureau's website (www.cppb.go.kr), in person, or over the phone to 57 probation offices across the country (at least two weeks prior to the desired date of service)
- Support Areas: Local community support, support for the marginalized population, improvement of residential environment, urgent disaster relief, support for welfare facilities and other areas of public interest.
Fine Defaulters’ Community Service
This is a low income people-friendly policy to make the fine defaulters who cannot pay a fine based on financial difficulties carry out community service as a substitution for imprisonment.
- Target: A person who is sentenced to a fine for no more than KRW 5 million who does not have the economic ability to pay the fine.
- Application Period: Within 30 days of the prosecutor’s order to pay the fine.
- Application to the competent prosecutors’ office
- Request of a prosecutor and the decision of a cout