Probation and Parole
Community Service Orders
- A court may impose community service order to an offender to have opportunities for compensation and atonement of the damage caused by offenses through volunteer works.
Delivery of Community Service Order
- In principle, an offender should carry out community service order for nine hours a day, during the daytime, on weekdays. But it may be allowed to carry out the order in parts or on weekends in order to minimize inconvenience to the occupation of an offender.
Fields of Service
- Support for the marginalized population (bathing, hairdressing, laundry, cleaning, free meal service, housekeeping and support activities, etc.)
- Support for welfare facilities (activities to support for the elderly, children and the disabled, etc.)
- Support for improvement of residential environments in the community (house repair, wallpaper/flooring/window screen replacement, painting and cleaning, etc.)
- Support for rural communities (helping farmers or improving rural village environments, etc.)
- Support disaster relief
- Local community support (cleaning up local community, support for public events, etc.)
Community Service based on People’s Request
- This is a user-centered community service system where services are requested directly by citizens in need of help, and the requested services are provided by the persons carrying out community service order.
- Eligible Applicants: Any Korean (individuals, groups)
- How to apply: Online application via Crime Prevention Policy Bureau's website (www.cppb.go.kr), in person, or over the phone to 57 probation offices across the country (at least two weeks prior to the desired date of service)
- Support Areas: Local community support, support for the marginalized population, improvement of residential environment, urgent disaster relief, support for welfare facilities and other areas of public interest.
Fine Defaulters’ Community Service
This is a low income people-friendly policy to make the fine defaulters who cannot pay a fine based on financial difficulties carry out community service as a substitution for imprisonment.
- Target: A person who is sentenced to a fine for no more than KRW 5 million who does not have the economic ability to pay the fine.
- Application Period: Within 30 days of the prosecutor’s order to pay the fine.
- Application to the competent prosecutors’ office
- Request of a prosecutor and the decision of a cout