Probation and Parole
- A tribunal agency with quasi-judicial functions that is installed and operated under the Minister of Justice to review and decide on matters concerning probation, such as deciding on early release from juvenile detention center, imposition of electronic monitoring of parolees, suspension of supervision or electronic monitoring for probationers, and revocation of parole or suspension of supervision of probationers.
This committee is installed in six large cities, such as Seoul, Busan, Daegu, Gwangju, Daejeon, and Suwon.
Duties - This committee decides the following:
- Parole of juvenile offenders and revocation;
- Early release from a juvenile detention center, and its revocation;
- Suspension of supervision of probationers and its revocation;
- Cessation of probation and its revocation;
- Termination of indeterminate sentence of a person on parole;
- Exceptional waiver of supervision for adult parolees;
- Electronic monitoring of parolees;
- Suspension of electronic monitoring, pharmacological treatment of sex offenders and its revocation;
- Investigation of adult parolees for parole supervision and appropriateness of electronic monitoring.
- This committee consists of five to nine members including the chairperson.
- A chairperson is appointed by the Minister of Justice among the chief prosecutors or prosecutors of High Prosecutors’ Offices