Probation and Parole
Probation and Parole Board
- A tribunal agency with quasi-judicial functions that is installed and operated under the Minister of Justice to review and decide on matters concerning probation, such as deciding on early release from juvenile detention center, imposition of electronic monitoring of parolees, suspension of supervision or electronic monitoring for probationers, and revocation of parole or suspension of supervision of probationers.
※ The board is established in six major cities; Seoul, Busan, Daegu, Gwangju, Daejeon, and Suwon.
Duties and Roles - This committee decides the following:
- Parole of juvenile offenders and revocation;
- Early release from a juvenile detention center, and its revocation;
- Suspension of supervision of probationers and its revocation;
- Cessation of probation and its revocation;
- Termination of indeterminate sentence of a person on parole;
- Exceptional waiver of supervision for adult parolees;
- Electronic monitoring of parolees;
- Suspension of electronic monitoring, pharmacological treatment of sex offenders and its revocation;
- Investigation of adult parolees for parole supervision and appropriateness of electronic monitoring.
- This board consists of fice to nine members including the chairperson who is appointed by the Minister of Justice among the chief prosecutors of High Prosecutor's Office.